Thursday, September 20, 2007

Wiki mania???

So I had to follow instructions to get into the ECU Library Learnig 2.0 wiki thingy so I could post a comment, or even edit a wiki page.
Firstly let me say the instructions were not self evident, and a little hard to follow with a couple of steps left out. For instance putting in the search terms into the search box, but there were 3 search boxes on the page in close proximity to each other, so which one???

I tried, and actually had enrolled but didn't even realise I was, until a helpful librarian showed me that I actually was. Maybe its because I had the Sampson and Delilah syndrome today, a haircut that is.

I can see that a wiki can be a useful tool both for providing information to students, and for them to easily respond to that information or post suggestions back concerning library issues. Yes, it still does rely upon the student going to the page, but it will hang off the library webpages so could be easily accessible whilst they do other library related stuff.

3 comments:

ELLE said...

Oops sorry the instructions were unclear... must have been written by a librarian who had done it before. Luckily you knew where to get help, so all was not lost.

A useful tool that doesn't have to be in Blackboard and I agree, has more potential on the website.
ELLE

g4qbert said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
g4qbert said...

typo Sampson = Samson
http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=Sampson+and+Delilah&sourceid=opera&num=30&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

u could be a Neil Sedaka fan
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=7ps&q=%22Sampson+and+Delilah%22&btnG=Search

Neil seems to have used Sampson in song title